What to Expect
The first consultation:
The first treatment lasts around 1-1.5hours. It involves an in-depth discussion about you and your health; physical, emotional, spiritual and your medical history.
- I’ll examine your tongue and take your pulse on both wrists. These are important diagnostic tools in traditional acupuncture.
- We will discuss your treatment plan and you can ask questions and decide if you are happy for the treatment to go ahead.
- For physical or muscular injuries, a brief physical examination may be required and palpation of the acupuncture points will be used to decide on which points are clinically required.
- The treatment involves inserting extremely fine needles into the body at specific points for your condition. They are left in for 15-20 minutes while you relax.
- Other techniques are sometimes used, including: Moxa – a Chinese herb put on the needle which burns to stimulate the area; Acupressure; Massage; Cupping.
- Some clothing must be removed for the treatment, keeping underwear on. You will be given privacy to undress and towels to cover your body. As I treat an area I will move the towel to gain access but always retain your modesty.
- You are welcome to bring someone into the treatment room with you.
- Last around an hour
- We have a chat about your progress and then get on with the treatment.